W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2006

Re: Hindi Alphabetic Bulleting in CSS3

From: Vijay Kumar <vijaykumar@cdacnoida.in>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:12:08 +0530
Message-ID: <062501c67a78$7c756390$f403015a@SNLP>
To: "Martin Duerst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>
Cc: "'Jose'" <jose_stephen@cdactvm.in>, "Karunesh Kr. Arora" <karunesharora@cdacnoida.in>

Hi Martin
Here are probable answers to your queries

> You show Vowel bulleting order and consonant bulleting order separately. 
> [Yes]
> Does that mean that these are two different ways of labeling list items? 
> [Yes]
> Or is there some way to combine them in a single labeling style? [Not 
> Generally followed , but it can be vowels followed by consonants]
>
> In other words, would we need both of:
> list-style-type: devanagari-vowel   [Yes, if the  items to be bulleted are 
> few]
> list-style-type: devanagari-consonant   [Yes]
>
> Also, you say that this is the order for Indian languages, but does  this 
> apply to all Indian scripts? Are there variations depending  on the 
> language (e.g. for languages that don't use all the letters  in a script)? 
> What happens for scripts that e.g. don't have all  the consonants, or have 
> additional consonants? (e.g. Tamil?)

[Not sure about South Indian Scripts, I saw others are contributing 
(jose_stephen@cdactvm.in), they can answer in better way.


And for bullets not all the characters are used, the characters used have 
been given in my previous mail which you responded to.

regards

Karunesh & Vijay


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Martin Duerst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: "Karunesh Arora" <karunesharora@cdacnoida.in>; "Richard Ishida" 
<ishida@w3.org>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>; "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: Hindi Alphabetic Bulleting in CSS3


>
> Hello Karunesh,
>
> Great contribution!
>
> Two questions:
>
> You show Vowel bulleting order and consonant bulleting order separately.
> Does that mean that these are two different ways of labeling list items?
> Or is there some way to combine them in a single labeling style?
>
> In other words, would we need both of:
> list-style-type: devanagari-vowel
> list-style-type: devanagari-consonant
>
> Also, you say that this is the order for Indian languages, but does
> this apply to all Indian scripts? Are there variations depending
> on the language (e.g. for languages that don't use all the letters
> in a script)? What happens for scripts that e.g. don't have all
> the consonants, or have additional consonants? (e.g. Tamil?)
>
> Sorry to ask so many questions.
>
> Regards,    Martin.
>
> At 20:10 06/05/16, Karunesh Arora wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >In CSS3 Module :Lists working draft 
> >(ref:http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/)
> >we found that the list-style-type for bulleting is done only for numerals 
> >in
> >Indian languages i.e no alphabetic bulletins are provided ( 4.4 List
> >Content: The 'list-style-type' property - Alphabetic).  The ordering list
> >for Hindi is given in enclosed file for Vowels and Consonants.
> >Please go through the document and give us your valuable suggestions.
> >regards
> >Karunesh & Vijay
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> 
Received on Thursday, 18 May 2006 12:54:17 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 19:17:08 GMT