Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:

>> Opera has received complaints that, e.g. on www.aqua-soft.org, users
>> who have signed up using Internet Explorer or Mozilla and included
>> non-latin1 characters in their username, cannot log in with Opera,
>> because the different browsers differ in their handling of
>> out-of-charset characters.
>
> This seems an interoperability question rather than a "what is right"
> question.  In that case, they should just mimick the behavior of the
> leading browser, probably IE, even if it is not the right behavior under
> the standard.

We are discussing changing the behaviour of the browsers concerned (Opera
and Mozilla) to be "what is right", possibly at the expense of
compatibility with IE.

> But I still question the wisdome of supporting such applications; the
> web application in question may appear to be working properly but there
> is no guarantee to keep working properly, since it is not written to
> support characters outside of ISO 8859-1.  It is very risky to use such
> application, and I think giving users an illusion that the application
> works properly does more harm in a long run.

I couldn't agree more. But that directly contradict your last statement! :-)