Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

From: KUROSAKA Teruhiko <kuro@bhlab.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:37:36 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "www-international@w3.org" <www-international@w3.org>

Ian,
> Opera has received complaints that, e.g. on www.aqua-soft.org, users who
> have signed up using Internet Explorer or Mozilla and included non-latin1
> characters in their username, cannot log in with Opera, because the
> different browsers differ in their handling of out-of-charset characters.

This seems an interoperability question rather than
a "what is right" question.  In that case, they should
just mimick the behavior of the leading browser, probably IE,
even if it is not the right behavior under the standard.

But I still question the wisdome of supporting
such applications; the web application in question may
appear to be working properly but there is no guarantee
to keep working properly, since it is not written to
support characters outside of ISO 8859-1.  It is very
risky to use such application, and I think giving
users an illusion that the application works properly
does more harm in a long run.

--
T. "Kuro" Kurosaka, San Francisco, California