Re: Form submission when successful controls contain characters outside the submission character set

At 17:02 03/09/11 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:

> > Do you have a particular use case where sending the
> > out-of-charset characters may be benefitial?
>
>Not really.
>
>Opera has received complaints that, e.g. on www.aqua-soft.org, users who
>have signed up using Internet Explorer or Mozilla and included non-latin1
>characters in their username, cannot log in with Opera, because the
>different browsers differ in their handling of out-of-charset characters.
>
>Hence the need for some sort of decision as to what UAs should do.
>
>Ideally, this would be a normative errata to some spec (e.g. HTML4), so
>that all UAs still in active development could change to be interoperable.

If you want to be compatible with IE, the easiest way is
probably just to do what IE does (but don't say I told you
to do so).

This seems to be a typical garbage-in-garbage-out scenario.
Such stuff is rarely addressed by standards, and is not
guaranteed to work.

Regards,    Martin.