Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: by way of Martin Duerst <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 08:02:59 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

At 03:22 AM 30-09-02, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> >I think the idea is that, in a word processor for example
>
>What would you say about a browser?

Probably something about extended style sheets that include typographic
system tagging. Ideally, as a typographer, I would like something like CSS
that includes a tag for every registered OpenType Layout feature -- and OT
'language system' tagging that sits below the level of document language
tagging etc. --, so that I can create sophisticated online documents with
the same level of typographic control as I have for print documents. I
realise that it may be necessary to dress this up as a higher level,
non-proprietory-technology-specific mark up.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           tiro@tiro.com

Those books that allow us to forget the most
are accorded the status of a classic.
                                           - James Secord