RE: Language choice for default Web page

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:49:47 -0600
To: "Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, "Tex Texin" <tex@i18nguy.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

>>Based on what is written I think Yves is not far off the mark. The
>>suggestion that the decision be automated is a bit of a leap,
>>but not unreasonable.
>
>Well, neither the reader nor the author would expect it, and
>as I said, it would make it impossible for somebody with
>French preferences to reach the English version.

I was thinking this would be used only when no page is specify, so when the
default index page is chosen. But I see what you mean.

>>I think the media type alternative links
>
>I haven't heard of such a thing. Do you have an example?

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links
"Alternate:
Designates substitute versions for the document in which the link occurs.
When used together with the lang attribute, it implies a translated version
of the document. When used together with the media attribute, it implies a
version designed for a different medium (or media)."

I guess the specification descibes what the <link> indicates but not what a
user-agent *should* do with it (only what it *may* do). Which now makes me
understand why it's not really used.

Thanks also for the notes on http. It looks more promising. I'll try that.

cheers,
-yves