Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

At 12:38 02/09/27 -0700, Vinod Balakrishnan wrote:

> >From my own experience dealing with similar problems, this is what I have to
>say
>
>1. We need a font like "Tahoma" on XP/WIN2k ( font with Unicode cmap
>and limited glyph sets)  on all the platforms, where application can set
>font to Tahoma and pass in any Unicode strings. Once font is set to Tahoma,
>operating system will go ahead and pick the right font for the missing
>glyphs. So this font name can be mentioned in the HTML pages.

For HTML pages, or better CSS stylesheets, there is even a better way:

Just don't set any font. Or use the generic names, such as 'serif',
to denote a font. Then the browser should do the rest.

>3. Browser should take the accept language or other application preference
>to set the appropriate "typographic preference" for choosing the right fall
>back font by the OS.

Yes indeed. What happens currently is that in many cases,
the Accept-Language and the settings of the OS are the same,
because it's all set up for one specific language out of the
box. But if the preferences are changed, then that should be
taken into account.

Regards,    Martin.