Re: UTF-8 problem with Japanese characters

From: A. Vine <andrea.vine@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:57:43 -0700
To: "Debmalya Biswas (by way of Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>)" <debmalya_biswas@infy.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Debmalya,
UTF-8 is a character encoding scheme, which encodes the Universal Character Set
(UCS), also known as Unicode.  Japanese characters are well-covered by Unicode,
even in older versions.  So UTF-8 can contain all (and more) of the very same
characters which appear in Shift_JIS and EUC-JP.

*Some older versions of browsers have problems displaying UTF-8, so that could
be your problem.
*Browsers need to have an appropriate font defined for UTF-8, so that could be
your problem.
*You may not have an appropriate font available, so that could be your problem.
*You may be trying to display a Shift_JIS page using UTF-8 as the set encoding,
so that could be your problem.  The two use different bytecode sequences to
represent the same characters.

So, the information needed is:

-Browser make and version
-Platform
-Font settings
-Available fonts
-Web page encoding
-Browser encoding setting

in order to determine what the problem is.

Regards,
Andrea Vine
iPlanet i18n architect