UTF-8 problem with Japanese characters

From: Debmalya Biswas <debmalya_biswas@infy.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:23:04 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
Hi,

Sorry to barge in your mailbox without any previous acquaintance.

I have heard from people that UTF-8 does not support all Japanese
characters. I was doing some research on it myself and found that
although I was able to display an HTML page containing Japanese
characters after setting the charset to shift-jis, the same does not seem to be
working for UTF-8. I am also facing similar kind of problem in Java.

Any pointers to this would be welcome.
TIA
Regards,
Debmalya Biswas