W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2002

Re: UTF-8 problem with Japanese characters

From: <bruce.wallman@us.pwcglobal.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:11:31 -0400
To: www-international-request@w3.org
Cc: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <OF6515CB7C.A03F2E8E-ON85256BA5.0047E972@nam.pwcinternal.com>


I have had problems when I set a Korean browser away from its localized
default (UTF-8 off). This is the default for Korean and Japanese localized
IE. I was not able to tell if it was simply characters. The behavior that I
saw was the browser freezing based on a reply to a form page.

I have been able to send and receive all (I think) Korean characters, but I
have done it via the server I wrote going through specific routines
associated with DBCS characters and how they are handled on disks and in
the HTTP/HTML stream. We are currently running at a Japanese client, but I
only have a Korean machine for comparisons.

Regards
_____________

Hi,

Sorry to barge in your mailbox without any previous acquaintance.

I have heard from people that UTF-8 does not support all Japanese
characters. I was doing some research on it myself and found that
although I was able to display an HTML page containing Japanese
characters after setting the charset to shift-jis, the same does not seem
to be
working for UTF-8. I am also facing similar kind of problem in Java.


Any pointers to this would be welcome.
TIA
Regards,
Debmalya Biswas





----------------------------------------------------------------
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.
Received on Wednesday, 24 April 2002 09:12:31 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 19:16:58 GMT