Re: XML Blueberry Requirements

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:32:44 -0400
To: Martin Brunecky <mbrunecky@onerealm.com>
CC: "'Misha.Wolf@reuters.com'" <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, unicode@unicode.org, unicore@unicode.org, www-international@w3.org
Martin Brunecky wrote:

> One thing I find disturbing about the REQUIREMENTS is that it does not
> address the compatibility issues.  Are the "blueberry" documents upwards
> compatible with the existing, XML 1.0 compliant documents?

You can change an XML 1.0 document to a Blueberry document by changing
something about it to mark it Blueberry (the Core WG hasn't decided
just what).

You can change a Blueberry document to 1.0 by removing the marker,
provided you do not exploit Blueberry features.

Documents marked as Blueberry will be rejected by 1.0 parsers.

Blueberry parsers will surely (as a practical matter) accept 1.0
documents as well.

It will be Good Practice, IMHO, not to mark a document Blueberry unless
it exploits Blueberry features.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com