Re: Unnecessary redraws with Content-Language

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Sam X. Sun wrote:

> The RFC1766 (http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1766.txt) defines the usage of
> character set encoding using format like:

> 	{ context using ISO-8859-10 character set encoding. }
>
> There seems to be some difference to the way used in HTML4.0. Is there any
> effort to unify the practice?

RFC 1766 defines language tags and their use to tag emails.
RFC 2070 and thus HTML 4.0 follow RFC 1766 closely. The exceptions
I know are:

- In addition to identifying the (main) language of the whole
	document, with the Content-Laguage header in HTTP
	(or a corresponding META construct (discouraged)),
	HTML allows language tagging of any element.
	I.e. you can not only say <HTML lang="i-sami-no">,
	but also <SPAN lang="i-sami-no">
	Because Email is not structured text, this would be
	very difficult to do for email (unless you send it
	as HTML, of course!).

- In RFC 1766, language tags are indivisible. RFC 2070 and
	HTML 4.0 allow language tags to be viewed as a hierarchy,
	so that e.g. text tagged en-us can be matched with
	hyphenation rules tagged en.

Regards,	Martin.