Re: Unnecessary redraws with Content-Language

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Chris Wendt wrote:

> Confirming what Erik says:
>
> We _have_ to reload, reconvert to the target charset and re-render the
> document on encountering the <meta.... charset=...> tag if the indicated
> charset differs from what we expected, typically the current user default of
> the browser.

I can only confirm what others said. However, as to the "_have_" above,
I have to say that there are implementation techniques that don't
require this, assuming that everything before <meta.... charset=...>
is ASCII only. You can e.g. use C++ input streams that allow for
filters to be pushed on top of them, where the filter is doing the
conversion. Probably not available in standard C++, but in a library
I use.

Regards,	Martin.