Re: 5 Digit Dates (was RE: Euro currency sign)

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@imbolc.ucc.ie>
Date: 26 Oct 1997 20:56:06 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-international@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
John McConnell <johnmcco@microsoft.com> said:
   I concur with David especially when you expand the scope of dates to
   include that used by applications (not just the system date). I've
   worked on software that had to operate on dates in the middle of the
   next millenium (related to nuclear facility management) and way beyond
   (astronomy software for predicting eclipses and unusual alignments).
   It's a royal pain when the system software doesn't handle this.

The other way is a pain too. Some of the Annals we're encoding at
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/ refer with some precision to events which
occurred before the Flood. Anyone involved with Egyptian, Hebrew or
Chinese history (just to pick three more at random) will also want
dates going back a _long_ way with considerable accuracy.

///Peter