Re: Accept-Language Support

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:49:34 -0400
To: gwm@austin.ibm.com
CC: www-international@w3.org, joe.ross@tivoli.com
>Are there any browsers which already send an Accept-Language header
>based on the user's language?

Yes. SOme version of Netscape do this, and does Tango, and I think
MSIE too.

>Assuming that the browser does this, what should the server do
>with this?

Depends on the server...

>Does there have to be a script on the server to find the HTML files
>in the right language?

That is one thing you can do.

>Has anyone implemented a dynamic multilingual web site which does not
>require the user to explicitly indicate the language as part of the URL?

In DynaWeb, I can tweak the configuration files so that a user with
and Accept-Language set to ja would only see Japanese books. Apache
has had something like this for a long time via the content negotiation
capabilities.