Accept-Language Header Field

From: Martin J. Duerst <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:35:49 +0200 (MET DST)
To: gwm@austin.ibm.com
cc: www-international@w3.org, joe.ross@tivoli.com
On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 gwm@austin.ibm.com wrote:

> We have several questions concerning Accept-Language as described in
> rfc2068:
>
> Assuming that the browser does this, what should the server do
> with this?

The exact matching rules are described in RFC 2068. They may
change as a consequence of them being a discussion item in the
current HTTP 1.1 upgrade (from proposed to draft standard).
But I currently think it's better for them not to change
(I will post a message to the http mailing list about this
in a few minutes).

> Once the HTML file in the right language is found, can the URLs
> within that HTML file just point to other HTML files and have
> the correct language selected? That is, can we have URLs without
> language codes in them and have HTML files retrieved in the language
> required by the user?

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work. It is good, however, if there
are URLs for each language version in addition to a generic URL
that gets you the version according to Accept-Language. This helps
for variant lists, bookmarking, and so on.

Regards,	Martin.