Re: Language labelling

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:32:04 +0100
To: Tim Chen <timchen@u.washington.edu>
cc: "'Francois Yergeau'" <yergeau@alis.com>, "M.T. Carrasco Benitez" <carrasco@innet.lu>, WInter <www-international@w3.org>, Misha Wolf <misha.wolf@reuters.com>, "mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>, Charles Wicksteed <charles.wicksteed@reuters.com>
the entire document.

I've always assumed that "inner" elements would have language tags
that would take precedence.

Your mixed Polish-Chinese pages DO have a problem; I would check
to see whether the required accendted chars were present in the
*Chinese* codepage you are using; some of these sets are *big*.
(or possibly look for floating accent marks, if your Chinese-rendering
SW handles those correctly....but the choice of charset is actually
independent of the question of the language tag)

                           Harald