From:  Francois Yergeau[SMTP:yergeau@alis.com]
Sent:  Saturday, February 22, 1997 8:35 AM
To:  Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Cc:  M.T. Carrasco Benitez; WInter; Misha Wolf; mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch; Charles Wicksteed
Subject:  Re: Language labelling

À 11:42 21-02-97 +0100, Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no a écrit :
>If I read RFC 2070 correctly, <HTML LANG=xx> is already legal HTML
>under that standard.

It certainly is, but the question at hand is a bit different.  Given that
we want to have a single language tag in a document (no potential
conflict), where is the best place to put it?

Tomas is for <META HTTP-EQUIV...> (also legal) because this is explicitely
designed for HTTP servers to pick up and send as an HTTP header.

I'm for <HTML LANG=xx>, because it fits into the structure of the HTML
document and applies to the whole document.  Although not designed
explicitly for this purpose, servers may still pick up a language tag from
there to put in an HTTP header.  This is not forbidden, just like indexing
engines are not forbidden to use the <TITLE>, some other special-purpose
<META> or even comments for their purposes.