Re: Language labelling

From: Misha Wolf <misha.wolf@reuters.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 12:18:16 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-international <www-international@w3.org>, Unicode <unicode@unicode.org>
Tim,

>Does <HTML LANG=XX> appy to the entire page or just the section follows and before </LANG> (if such thing exist) ?

David Baron has responded (somewhat telegraphically :-).  Please refer to RFC
2070.  There is no such thing as </LANG>.  <... LANG=xx> is inherited from outer
level components and is overriden by a <... LANG=xx> on nested components.  Additionally, <SPAN LANG=xx> may be used to associate a language with, say, a
few words.  This is terminated by </SPPAN>.

>I am publishing pages with largely Polish (windows-1251) and some blockquotes in Chinese (BIG-5). Until Unicode rules the world, how do I go about this?

Unicode encodes characters, not languages.  Even when, as you put it, Unicode
rules the world, we shall need language tags.

>Tim

Misha