Re: Comments on Charmod PR publications

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:38:13 +0100
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: www-i18n-comments@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org (I18N IG, for archiving only), member-i18n-core@w3.org, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

* Martin Duerst wrote:
>It's very easy. You take a font editor, take a font made to cover
>the repertoire encoded by iso-8859-1, and change the accented Latin
>characters and so on to something else, e.g. Thai. Any font technology
>enables such misuse, Font technology has no way to check whether
>the glyph e.g. for codepoint U+00F6 is what people might expect
>in that font for an o-Umlaut or not.

The text says "fonts that misuse e.g. iso-8859-1", not "fonts that
misuse e.g. the repertoire encoded by iso-8859-1". For the text to
make sense, the original font needs to be contructed in terms of
ISO-8859-1, that's certainly not possible using any font technology,
for example, SVG fonts can only be defined in terms of Unicode code
points. Most font technology that I am aware of is based on code
points, not code-points-to-bytes mappings. Something like

  This prohibits e.g. the construction of fonts that misuse the
  repertoire encoded by iso-8859-1 to represent different scripts,
  characters, or symbols than what is actually encoded in iso-8859-1.

would make considerably more sense.