Re: Alignment Inheritance in HTML 4.01 Tables

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:09:12 +0000
To: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Christian Roth wrote:

> this "inheritance" is not on the 'style' attribute *value*, but stems from the inheritance rules of CSS, so it's a completely different issue from the one fantasai and I have raised. Painting the text in your example red is correct, but has nothing to do with HTML attribute value inheritance.

A subtle point, Kris, and one I had failed to appreciate.
So if I may pursue this further :

In

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>HTML 5 (Provisional) Table Inheritance Test</TITLE>
</HEAD>

<BODY>
<TABLE style="font-size: 70%">
	<TR>
		<TD>
			What size am I ?
		</TD>
	</TR>
</TABLE>
<TABLE style="font-size: 70%">
	<TR style="font-size: 70%">
		<TD style="font-size: 70%">
			What size am I ?
		</TD>
	</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

which is the re-written version of the test previously referred to,
why are the two font samples rendered at exactly the same size ?
I would have expected the second to be considerably smaller (70% of 70% of 70% = 34%)
whereas they appear to be exactly the same size.

	Test URL :	http://web-consultants.org.uk/sites/tests/H5P-TIT.html
	Screen shot :	https://picasaweb.google.com/Chaa006/ScreenCaptures02?authkey=Gv1sRgCLGYuKnM4cuwjQE#5681114939896583042

Philip Taylor