Re: Alignment Inheritance in HTML 4.01 Tables

On 01.12.2011, at 12:09, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> In
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <TITLE>HTML 5 (Provisional) Table Inheritance Test</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
>
> <BODY>
> <TABLE style="font-size: 70%">
> 	<TR>
> 		<TD>
> 			What size am I ?
> 		</TD>
> 	</TR>
> </TABLE>
> <TABLE style="font-size: 70%">
> 	<TR style="font-size: 70%">
> 		<TD style="font-size: 70%">
> 			What size am I ?
> 		</TD>
> 	</TR>
> </TABLE>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>
> which is the re-written version of the test previously referred to,
> why are the two font samples rendered at exactly the same size ?

because your browser probably has a bug.

If you check your sample in either e.g. Chromium, Opera, Firefox 7 or current Safari, you'll see that they show the result as you expected (second "What size am I ?" is smaller than the first).

Your latest example shows exactly the point I am making: The HTML 4.01 spec says, 'style' is inherited, when in fact it does not seem to be (or all current browsers would be wrong on this).

-kris