Re: Question about HTML abbr and acronym tags

From: Martin Kliehm <martin.kliehm@bluemars.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 19:04:43 +0100
To: XHTML Liste <www-html@w3.org>

Barry Rader wrote:
> Say for example MIA we have an MIA named Mia and we are discussing her.

Mia would not be marked-up, but MIA would, and like David said, modern
screenreaders either know how to pronounce it or they can be taught.

But I agree that _two_ elements for the same thing is confusing, in
particular because the definition of an acronym apparently varies in
different languages. At least it doesn't describe what I understand to
be an acronym in German. Anyway as far as I remember XHTML 2.0 proposes
only one element for the future, so death to ACRONYM, long live ABBR
(plus explanations in brackets in some cases)!

Cheers,
   Martin