Re: [Spam] Re: Question about HTML abbr and acronym tags

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 18:56:59 +0100
To: Barry Rader <brader@boldinternet.com>
Cc: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>, www-html@w3.org

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:44:16PM -0500, Barry Rader wrote:

> Using Jukka's Method I could have to scroll up some 500 lines to see the
> first instance.

  It gets better. Given that you may not arrive at the content where
  the content start, you might not even know it /has/ been expanded
  somewhere.

  So either the author need to expand the abbreviation/acronym at
  every single instance, or he/she uses something like the abbr and
  acronym elements.

  I wish more would. Personally I use the same method of getting the
  expanded form as Barry does, and I'd be rather sad if a long
  document had expanded forms absolutely everywhere in the text.

  It gets tedious after a while. We do need to keep in mind the
  non-linear nature of web "pages" - and also that UAs which have
  onboard dictionaries rarely have them for more than English, and
  very rarely for everything.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net