Re: "Pave The Cowpaths" Design Principle

On 5/12/07, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> > I've published an example of one of the tables.

> > http://lachy.id.au/dev/2007/table-headers

> Not seen that sort of thing in the wild (as even to a sighted user this
> isn't immediately obvious), but yes that could be one case.

I have.  Often there was some additional (visual-only) styling to
group either a single logical row (which in this case is two physical
rows) or a logical colgroup (such as "name" or "address", which
Lachlan indicated by axis).

In every case, the actual HTML was atrocious and intended only for
certain versions of MSIE on certain screen sizes.  But in every case,
the customer was a large bureaucracy (often governmental), and could
have been convinced to follow a metadata standard that aided
accessibility if it had been brought up early enough in the contract
process.

-jJ