Re: "Pave The Cowpaths" Design Principle

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I don't think omitting headers attributes should be considered an error.
>  There should be a well defined algorithm that covers the vast majority
> of cases reliably without explicit association.

Fine, whatever.

>> However, if id/headers etc are detected, do NOT attempt to override
>> them via heuristics, as this is what some AT currently does and it
>> completely undermines any effort by conscientious authors.
>
> Assuming the headers attributes refer to ids of cells within the table,
> that's fine.  But the algorithm should handle references to bogus ids or
> ids that aren't cells within the same table.

Then that falls under repair/error correction.

> It would be really helpful if some real world example tables, which
> either already use, or would benefit from the use of, headers
> attributes, could be presented as evidence to support your case.  We can
> then evaluate whether or not headers attributes really are needed, or if
> those cases could be handled with a better algorithm.

Because there are infinite variations of complex tables, I think no
algorithm CAN be constructed that copes with all cases. I'd throw this
back at you and say: can you provide evidence of an algorithm that can
handle all possible cases of complex tables? Even if I gather 100
complex tables, and you could suggest an algorithm to handle those, you
can rest assured that there will be the 101st case that breaks the mold.

> I have one example that I built early last year for a project I was
> working on.  Although I don't believe the site ever actually launched (I
> think they went out of business or something), I've published an example
> of one of the tables.
>
> http://lachy.id.au/dev/2007/table-headers

Not seen that sort of thing in the wild (as even to a sighted user this
isn't immediately obvious), but yes that could be one case.

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com