Re: Cleaning House

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> <sup> and <small> (did I miss any others?) under the "Presentational markup"
> section

I think I've seen this before... Those elements have been discussed many,
many times on different forums. Calling all of them indiscriminately
"presentational" is gross oversimplification. Surely the difference
between 3<sup>2</sup> and 32 is not just in visual rendering; it's the
difference between 9 and 32.

Unfortunately, the discussions seldom go past the point of an incomplete
statement of the problem. If such issues where presentation and meaning
are intimately coupled cannot be analyzed and solved properly, it is best
to allow common presentational markup as currently allowed in HTML, and
perhaps add a little. Taking it away without adding fairly complex
semantic markup for all the relevant cases would be a disservice.