Re: Cleaning House

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Surely
> the difference between 3<sup>2</sup> and 32 is not just in visual
> rendering; it's the difference between 9 and 32.

No, it's - at its heart - the problem of using a language that is badly,
or rather not at all, suited to mark up mathematical or chemical
equations, It's using a screwdriver to hammer a nail in the wall, and
complaining that we can't make the handle of the screwdriver in the next
version smaller because it would make it impossible to hammer nails into
the wall with it.

> Unfortunately, the discussions seldom go past the point of an incomplete
> statement of the problem. If such issues where presentation and meaning
> are intimately coupled cannot be analyzed and solved properly, it is
> best to allow common presentational markup as currently allowed in HTML,
> and perhaps add a little. Taking it away without adding fairly complex
> semantic markup for all the relevant cases would be a disservice.

And I do believe that the latter is what we've been arguing about all
along...that we'd love to see the combined force of the WG to work on
some more semantic markup alternatives, rather than simply saying "there
currently aren't any elements that can adequately cover these cases, so
authors have traditionally used this presentational markup, therefore we
can't introduce more adequate elements".

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/
http://streetteam.webstandards.org/