Re: abbr and acronym

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:20:40 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-html@w3.org

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Tina Holmboe wrote:

>  However, unless we actually /structurally/ differentiate between
>  an acronym and an abbreviation there is no way that any browser can
>  render them differently, aurally or otherwise.

Why would that matter? An acronym is, by definition, a word. Why would you
need to specify that a word be rendered as a word? You might say that it
might be written in uppercase, e.g. "NATO", but so might any word, when
PEOPLE JUST SHOUT. In any case, if you want to indicate that a string be
read as a word and not letter by letter or as an expanded to something,
then this is is logically independent of its being or not being an
acronym.

An acronym is a word with a known (or assumed) etymology consisting of
initial letters of words. Why would this matter, from the HTML
perspective, any more than any other etymology?