Re: abbr and acronym

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:32:35 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-html@w3.org

On 26 Mar, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Quoting Leandro Guimar„es Faria Corcete DUTRA
> <leandro.dutra@corp.orolix.com>:
>
>> 	Yes, but acronyms are pronounced as words, while all-uppercase
>> non-acronym abbreviations are spelled out.  So with different acronym
>> and abbr elements a speech the user agent will know what to do,
>> roughly
>> ? obviously hybrids (eg JPEG) will need special treatment.
>
> But that is arguably a matter of aural presentation, not of the
> content itself.

  True. However, unless we actually /structurally/ differentiate between
  an acronym and an abbreviation there is no way that any browser can
  render them differently, aurally or otherwise.

  There is no conceivable point - save to be politically correct -
  involved in removing elements that HAS semantic interpretation from a
  markup language. Adding them is useful. Removing them far less so.

  We don't need to worry about browsers running out of room for
  elements, after all!

--
 -       Tina Holmboe                           Greytower Technologies
       tina@greytower.net                      http://www.greytower.net