Re: abbr and acronym

From: Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:31:39 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-html@w3.org

On 26 Mar, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Tina Holmboe wrote:
>
>>  However, unless we actually /structurally/ differentiate between
>>  an acronym and an abbreviation there is no way that any browser can
>>  render them differently, aurally or otherwise.
>
> Why would that matter? An acronym is, by definition, a word. Why would
> you need to specify that a word be rendered as a word? You might say

  You don't. What we need to specify is what a word /is/; the rendering
  isn't particularly interesting.

  We can argue whether it was too fine-grained putting both ABBR and
  ACRONYM in HTML in the first place, but this discussion is about what
  to take out.

  I don't agree in taking out elements that HAVE a semantic
  interpretation. It smells too much like the MENU fiasco.

--
 -       Tina Holmboe                           Greytower Technologies
       tina@greytower.net                      http://www.greytower.net