Re: [html] Elements within "title"?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 12:41:05 +1100
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Cc: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, www-html@w3.org, help-whatwg.org@lists.whatwg.org

Steven Pemberton wrote:
> The title element gives metadata about the document. In XHTML2's unified
> treatment of metadata, the title element is considered as a shorthand for

> But the meta element *can* contain other elements, so if you need to
> have a title with elements, then that is the place to put it:

If that's the case, then why doesn't XHTML2 just make the content model
of <title> and <meta> the same?  Why confuse authors by requiring that
they use a completely different element if they want to include markup
within it?

Where in the XHTML2 spec does it actually define the UA conformance
requirements for treating <title> as shorthand for that <meta> element,
or vice versa?

It states [1]:

| The title of a document is metadata about the document, and so a title
| like <title>About W3C</title> is equivalent to <meta about=""
| property="title">About W3C</meta>.

But neither that statement, nor any others I could find, include any
conformance criteria.

Which takes precedence if both are specified, and they differ?  In fact,
which takes precedence if an author inclueds 2 or more title elements?

Besides, allowing markup in titles at all seems to ignore the fact that
most uses for title are limited to plain text, and thus not useful.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-document.html#sec_7.3.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/