Re: [whatwg] Tim BL's HTML WG announcement and WHAT WG

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:56:19 +0200
Cc: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "WHATWG List" <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "W3C HTML" <www-html@w3.org>
To: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>

On Oct 29, 2006, at 19:16, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> So what comes out will probably be a (perhaps evolved) version of
> WHATWG stuff, as has been the case in some other W3C groups already.

That would be excellent.

Perhaps I was overly worried, because I couldn't tell from the
announcement where this is going.

>>> Or will the WHAT WG activities continue with an endorsement from
>>> the W3C?
>
> I would be very surprised. As Tim notes, the WHATWG doesn't have
> what he calls "accountability measures" (by which I think he means
> a process with more of the checks and balances that are found in
> W3C's), which would make it hard for W3C to endorse anything WHATWG
> have yet to do.

I don't expect the W3C to endorse the WHAT WG itself. What I meant to
ask if the WHAT WG spec drafts continue to be worked on under the
banner of the W3C.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi