Re: Tim BL's HTML WG announcement and WHAT WG

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:29:56 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

Henri Sivonen wrote:

>  2) The complexity of SGML is not needed. Pretending that HTML is an
> application of SGML server no practical purpose.

The above is a severe misunderstanding of the history
of HTML... SGML helped *a lot* because it allowed us to write a DTD.
And a DTD was necessary to design the model.

And even if HTML does not use the full power (and complexity) of SGML,
making HTML become an SGML application was a key factor in the
standardization process of HTML.

Note: cc to whatwg removed, I can't post there

</Daniel>