RE: [whatwg] Tim BL's HTML WG announcement and WHAT WG

From: Paul Nelson (ATC) <paulnel@winse.microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 03:33:01 -0800
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
CC: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, WHATWG List <whatwg@whatwg.org>, W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>

Because WHATWG does not have W3C type of IP policy not all organizations can participate in the WHATWG. While I don't represent an official corporate request, I submit that the WHATWG should not be considered to be equivalent to any W3C working group unless the same IP policy is in place so that all companies/organizations can freely participate in the process of the WHATWG.

Personally, I appreciate the work the WHATWG is doing in trying to balance between existing web usage and providing solutions for the future.

Regards,

Paul Nelson