Re: Suggestion: http request bundle

From: Phillip Conrad <pconrad@udel.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 08:44:15 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

On 11/3/06, Wingnut <wingnut@winternet.com> wrote:
> > Discussion of HTTP is off topic for www-html.
> No it isn't.  Learn about transclusion and CMS's and quit trying to tell
> folks where and how the HTML maillists should sprawl and unsprawl,
> topic-wise.  Let it flow, like human thought does, and stop playing
> gestapo power tripper.

Actually, HTTP _is_ off topic for www-html.

HTTP is an application layer protocol, and as such, should be
discussed on the mailing lists of the Internet Engineering Task Force,
not the w3c.

The w3c handles the presentation layer, while the IETF handles transport issues.

It _is_ appropriate to mention issues such as transclusion, and CMSs.
Those are helpful contributions to the discussion.  Thank you for
those.

A reasonable discussion of whether a post is "on-topic" or
"off-topics" for a list is also appropriate.  Reasonable people can
have a reasonable discussion about that.

However, comparing someone with who you disagree on that point to the
"gestapo" is not particularly helpful or skillful.  It detracts from
the credibility of the helpful parts of your post.

You suggested that others learn about transclusion and CMSs.   In
turn, I would invite you, and anyone else who is worried about
"thought police" or the "gestapo", to learn about Godwin's Law, Email
List Etiqutte, and the computer science princple known as separation
of concerns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

--
-- Phill Conrad
-- Asst. Professor, CIS Dept., University of Delaware