Re: Suggestion: http request bundle

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Doug Whitehead wrote:
>
>> Enhance the http protocol to create a request bundle, with a zip
>> response to minimize the chatter between the browser and a server.

Doug, that is a good idea, and such bundles of browsertab-able documents
will need to be handled correctly by browsers, someday.  Such bundles
will likely be built-into one giant document by the CMS (content
management system) that could/would live "behind" a webserver.

> Discussion of HTTP is off topic for www-html.

Lachlan, Doug's comment was sure much closer to on-subject than your
topic-police attempt above.  Controlists!  erf!  Ever heard of a
phenomenon called humility, L?  And yes, this is an off-topic reply to
your off-topic comment about Doug being off-topic.  Are you going to
continue commenting on off-topicness now, L?  Or are you done playing cop?

>>> From the web user's perspective website load times could be
>>> accelerated if N requests for resources could be bundled into a
>>> single request from a webserver.

Yessir.  AND... the request itself... could determine what goes into the
bundle.  It contains instructions not only to the webserver, but to the
content management system behind it.  There have been others IN THIS
LIST who have talked of beefing-up http's GET... making it more of a CMS
query portal.  Too bad I can't ref who and when it was.  Having a
document (bundle of many)... assemble from pieces of other documents...
is sometimes called "transclusion" and is a mostly-forgotten technology
invented by the mostly-forgotten ACTUAL WORLD WIDE WEB INVENTER... Ted
Nelson.

> This is already covered by gzip or deflate compression and HTTP Pipelining.

No it isn't.  Learn about transclusion and CMS's and quit trying to tell
folks where and how the HTML maillists should sprawl and unsprawl,
topic-wise.  Let it flow, like human thought does, and stop playing
gestapo power tripper.

Wingnut