Re: content type for XHTML fragments: reformulated

From: Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:51:17 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com>:
>> It's been a while since this thread ceased being active, but I've
>> been thinking of a more elegant way of transferring chunks of XHTML
>> between applications/documents. This could eventually be added to
>> XHTML 2.0.
>>
>> My proposal is to add a <fragment/> root element that encapsulates
>> the XHTML content being sent. That way you could send that content as
>> application/xhtml+xml.
>
> That would still require an update of RFC 3236. I also don't really
> see the
> advantage over using simply a <div> element with the namespace applied
> to it or
> some random element in another namespace.
A <fragment/> element would imply that only the content/children of that
element should be handled/inserted into the target. A <div/> element
doesn't imply anything about how it's supposed to be handled - maybe the
the original example we were only interested in the contents of the root
element, but we had no way to tell the application that.
> I also don't see why would want to send it over the wire as
> application/xhtml+xml.
Because it's not SVG/whatever. It *is* XHTML.

Cheers,
Daniel Schierbeck