Re: content type for XHTML fragments: reformulated

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:56:08 +0100
To: Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com>
Cc: Garret Wilson <garret@globalmentor.com>, www-html@w3.org

Quoting Daniel Schierbeck <daniel.schierbeck@gmail.com>:
> It's been a while since this thread ceased being active, but I've
> been thinking of a more elegant way of transferring chunks of XHTML
> between applications/documents. This could eventually be added to
> XHTML 2.0.
>
> My proposal is to add a <fragment/> root element that encapsulates
> the XHTML content being sent. That way you could send that content as
> application/xhtml+xml.

That would still require an update of RFC 3236. I also don't really see the
advantage over using simply a <div> element with the namespace applied
to it or
some random element in another namespace. I also don't see why would want to
send it over the wire as application/xhtml+xml.

(Atom uses a <div> element as root for XHTML fragments.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>