Re: hreflang

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:04:39 +1100
To: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Steven Pemberton wrote:
> but if you want to supply an explicit link to a language version, you
> can include the attribute:
> I would call this the best of both worlds. It means, for instance, that
> someone whose preferred language is not Dutch, but who can nevertheless
> speak Dutch, can get to the Dutch version (for instance to check the
> translation).

Is this not better handled by having the langauge as part of the URI,
such as "report.nl" or "/nl/report"?

With the hreflang method, if a user (who's browser preferences don't
include nl as a preferred language) bookmarks the page or copies and
pastes the URI and then tries to return to the page later, they may not
receive the the nl version.

Lachlan Hunt