Re: hreflang

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Steven Pemberton wrote:
>> but if you want to supply an explicit link to a language version, you
>> can include the attribute:

>> I would call this the best of both worlds. It means, for instance,
>> that someone whose preferred language is not Dutch, but who can
>> nevertheless speak Dutch, can get to the Dutch version (for instance
>> to check the translation).
>
> Is this not better handled by having the langauge as part of the URI,
> such as "report.nl" or "/nl/report"?

That is an option, but may lock you into a particular server's choice of
naming conventions, making it hard to change server.

> With the hreflang method, if a user (who's browser preferences don't
> include nl as a preferred language) bookmarks the page or copies and
> pastes the URI and then tries to return to the page later, they may not
> receive the the nl version.

Yes, this is one of the deficiencies of URLs: although there may be
several representations of a resource at a URL, there is no standardised
way of identifying any particular one.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton