Re: hreflang

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:01:58 +0100
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Cc: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, www-html@w3.org

Laurens Holst wrote:
> Jukka K. Korpela schreef:
>> But it's actually worse than useless when it is incorrect. And the
>> destination of a link _may_ change language - perhaps switching to a
>> language-negotiated version - without notifying people who link to it.)
>
> Well, I suppose that’s what the new definition of hreflang is trying to
> avoid. Although I’m not sure that’s a good idea; I’d say the visitor
> would obviously prefer the link to be in a language he understands.

Indeed, that is the intention of the new definition.

When you want users to have the version in the languages they choose,
you don't use hreflang:

but if you want to supply an explicit link to a language version, you
can include the attribute:

I would call this the best of both worlds. It means, for instance, that
someone whose preferred language is not Dutch, but who can nevertheless
speak Dutch, can get to the Dutch version (for instance to check the
translation).

Steven Pemberton