Re: separator abuse

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
>
>>I consider <group> to be too generic to be used to group paragraphs with
>>the same context. I'd settle with using just <group>  between <section>
>>and <p> but I think <div> isn't a good enough choice.
>
> Why not <div> or <section> with an appropriate role attribute to provide
> its semantics?

I'm afraid that <div> or <section> with some generic role attribute
has too little semantics to transfer the same meaning as the empty
<separator> element this contruct is trying to replace.

Default presentation must be able to render some kind of
separational mark (be it a line or a bunch of stars or a pause in
aural presentation) between different parts. If there's some
formative meaning for <div role="part"> I don't see a reason not to
use a new element for that. On the contrary, I feel that <part>
expresses the intent better than <div role="part"> or some similar
construct. If you or somebody else provides enough evidence I might
change my mind, though.

--
Mikko