Re: separator abuse

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:33:43 +1000
To: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Mikko Rantalainen wrote:
> I consider <group> to be too generic to be used to group paragraphs with
> the same context. I'd settle with using just <group>  between <section>
> and <p> but I think <div> isn't a good enough choice.

Why not <div> or <section> with an appropriate role attribute to provide
its semantics?

> That still leaves us with the <nl> separator problem. The solution
> suggested in
> http://lachy.id.au/log/2005/05/separator-elements#sep-example-7 looks
> logically almost perfect but the intended rendering (menu items
> separated by horizontal lines) is really hard to infer from such
> structure. The logic should be
>
> "Draw a horizontal line between two <li> elements if they're childs of
> <nl> element and both contain <ul> element as their only child."

My intention was that the <ul> elements would be styled with the border
(or other seperator), rather than their parent <li> elements.  If, for
some reason, that's not feasible for the design, then adding a class
attribute to identify the list items for styling is fairly harmless. eg.

   <li class="group">
     <ul>
     </ul>
   </li>