endorsement= attribute with fractional value (Re: rel="nofollow" attribute)

On 21 Jan, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> Indeed, nofollow is an extremely poor choice and I consider the
> relationship to be quite harmful [1].  However, "no-credit" is not
> much better because, although it more accurately describes its
> function, it says nothing about the relationship between the
> resources, nothing about what the linked-resource is, nor the purpose
> of the link.  ie. It does not express any semantics whatsoever.
> Better choices would express something like the link originated as a
> result of a user contribution and/or the document author/owner does
> not implicitly endorse the link.

<!-- Search engines would follow this link, just like they follow any
link they can find, but they would not assume any endorsement. It could
not act punitively; it would be equivalent to no link at all. -->

<!-- CMSes may insert endorsement="0" in markup for a link posted by an
untrusted contributor. -->

<!-- Because endorsements are orthogonal to relationships, CMSes may
even allow commenters to insert their own rel= attributes without
affecting any endorsement. (They may possibly prohibit well-known
values such as "up" and "home" that may give a false impression about
site structure.) -->

<!-- Advanced CMSes may allow non-zero endorsement levels using their
own values of trust for a contributor -- for example, how long the
contributor has been registered with the site. They may even let
contributors set their own endorsement= value for a link, multiplying
it by the site's trust level for the contributor to produce the
endorsement= value in the final markup. -->

<!-- UAs should accept percentage values for endorsement= as well as
decimal fractions. -->

I suggest this only as an example of what could have been -- a more
honest and flexible alternative to rel="nofollow". I do not necessarily
think it is useful, though, because it would not make any noticable
dent in comment spam, just like rel="nofollow" won't. (Just as with
e-mail, spammers will post in ever-larger quantities so as to find the
unfiltered recipients, and eventually so as to achieve actual
readership rather than just search ranking.) Nor do I necessarily think
the barn door can be closed after Google and its fellows have bolted.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/