Re: rel="nofollow" attribute

Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
> that  the current document does not credit the referenced one
> («no-credit») or  does not have any relation to the referenced document

Indeed, nofollow is an extremely poor choice and I consider the
relationship to be quite harmful [1].  However, "no-credit" is not much
better because, although it more accurately describes its function, it
says nothing about the relationship between the resources, nothing about
what the linked-resource is, nor the purpose of the link.  ie. It does
not express any semantics whatsoever.

Additionally such values make no sense in the context of any type of
user agent, other than a search engine that uses the some kind
page-rank, or equivalent, algorithm; which just empahsises the fact that
it's yet another useless, proprietary extension.

Better choices would express something like the link originated as a
result of a user contribution and/or the document author/owner does not
implicitly endorse the link.  Using such values a search engine, for
example, may then determine whether or not the linked resources is at
all related to the content of the linking document before issuing any
credit for the link – completely unrelated documents should not be
issued any credit.  In that way, some illigitimate pharmaceuticals site
(or other spammer) is unlikely to benefit from spamming a blog relating
to web development, yet a commenter that links to their blog entry on
the same topic will.

Of course, that is much more complicated than a simple yes/no style
relationship like nofollow, but the more semantic approach should not
adversely affect the vast majority of legitimate contributors, as
nofollow does.  Additionally because the relationship expresses the
semantics of the link, rather than how it should be used by one
particular type of UA, it is possible for others to do something else
more useful with it that may benefit the user.

[1] http://lachy.id.au/blogs/log/2005/01/link-relationships-revisited-part-1
--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/