RE: Suggestion: 'rel="unrelated"'

In the first instance -- in relation to the current proposal from Google --
why do we need to mark-up the tag at all? The issue is very specifically
that Google does not want to follow the links in blogs, and it also does not
want to give a higher page ranking to any pages referenced from those blogs.

The goals are fine, but they have proposed a solution to this that is a hack
-- it has the appearance of being a new attribute that we can all use in our
mark-up, but what they are actually going to do is automatically add
@rel="nofollow" to all (most) anchors in a blog, regardless of what was
originally put in.

I say this is a hack because they appear to have gone through the following
steps:

1. Faced with the understandable problem "how do we avoid indexing links
   from blogs", they rightly say, "how do we know which links come from
   blogs"?

2. Faced with this secondary problem they *could* have said "why not add
   some metadata to the head of the document to indicate that it is a blog,
   and then make our crawler behave accordingly".

3. Or they could have changed their blogging software so that any comments
   that are posted that contain links have to be approved by the blog
   owner.

4. Or a hundred and one other solutions ...

5. Instead they said "why not get all those who provide blog services to
   add some mark-up to each link so that the crawler doesn't need to know
   the difference between a blog and other documents -- it can just check
   the link properties".

6. And then of course someone said, "great idea, and let's use the 'rel'
   attribute, to do it with since it's not used much, and no-one really
   understands it anyway, and it makes it look like we've produced a
   generic, standards-based solution".

So I would suggest that any discussion about whether it should be this value
for rel or that value are pointless, since that isn't what is on the table.
What we have is Google marking up its own documents (they host many of the
blogs) in such a way that it can get back information about them, and
they've done it with a kludge.

Regards,

Mark

PS Lachlan -- none of the above is to say that your proposal for linking
metadata is not useful or important, it's just that unfortunately the
'nofollow' proposal isn't operating at that level of subtlety.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.

e: Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net