Re: XHTML2: Proposal for total separation of semantics from structure

Orion Adrian schreef:
> Meta elements provide for full triplets (i.e. subject predicate and
> object) for the document. However subject is limited to files and not
> fragments.

Eh, no? Subject is specified by ‘about’, which can have a fragment
identifier. It is shown in the bottom example of the property definition.

> 23.3 examples are representative of the following:
> subect = {the containing document}
> predicate = {as specified by the @property value}
> object = {the contects of the element}
>
> 23.4 examples are a way to specify identity discretely. Rather than
> the string tomorrow, I can use the actual date. Instead of the text
> "blue" I can use a URI. This is an important need fulfilled, but still
> there are things missing.
>
> What is missing is the ability to specify triplets like the meta
> element, but on arbitrary elements and attributes. What is not made
> clear to me is whether or not meta elements can be placed anywhere.
> The examples are not clear enough for me to figure that out.

I agree with that. I am also uncertain as to whether the entire set of
attributes specified in that part of the specification can be used on
every element (so I just assume they do) (but there’s a lot of
duplication in semantic meaning between them, so a subset would make sense).

Also with regard to the placement of meta, there is uncertainty... The
above mentioned last example of property shows a meta element followed
by an a element, but I do not know whether based on that I can conclude
that it is indeed allowed to have meta in content.

Actually, I just looked at the RNG schema (with my limited knowledge of
RNG), and it seems meta is indeed allowed anywhere in the content. Same
for the metainformation attributes.

Another weirdness that I found by the way is with regard to the title
element: the "Every XHTML document must have a title element in the head
section." requirement. This must be equivalent to <h1
property="title">Something</h1>, as an example that follows is showing
(using meta). However, that’s pointless as long as the mentioned
requirement is there.

~Grauw