Re: Any idea of a date XHTML2 will be "ratified"

From: Greg Baker <ggbaker@cs.sfu.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:17:38 -0700
To: Jasper Bryant-Greene <jasper@bryant-greene.name>
Cc: sakelsey@frontiernet.net, www-html@w3.org

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 21:29 +1200, Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:
> XHTML 2 is a working draft [1]. I wouldn't recommend that you base any
> classes on it at this stage, beyond perhaps mentioning it and some of
> its key improvements, as a lot could change between now and CR, PR or
> final recommendation [2].

I agree.  There's plenty of fun to be had talking about XHTML 1 or 1.1.

I wrote a set of course notes years ago with standard HTML 4.01.  Two
years ago, I went back and put some "/>" at the end of the empty tags
and had XHTML (a few other minor changes too, of course).

Standards-based markup is often touted as a way to ensure web developers
don't have to worry about flavour-of-the-month technologies.  I assure
you, it works for lazy instructors too.  :-)

All that's changed is that it's become easier to talk about CSS, because
it's actually reasonably well supported now.

--
Greg Baker, Lecturer
School of Computing Science