Re: Headline: Styles pondering desertion to Content!

On 5 Feb 2004, at 15:39, Wingnut wrote:

> I'm not well versed with all the proper terminology, but I do know
> that I need some styling power on my ARROW element.  I need it
> aimable, colorable, widthable, lengthable, arrowheadable,
> dual-shaftable, tri-shaftable, etc etc.  Same with circles, brackets,
> braces, text, all need colors, fonts, sizings, AND ANGLING!  I need
> rotation around the z axis... for ALL these critters including
> rectangular borders and text.

XHTML would be for expressing what these symbols *mean*. The meaning
isn't the "arrow object". What you draw on the page merely represents
the relationship between a source and a destination.

If you want to indicate than a sentence ought to be in another position
in the document, for example, you might surround the offending text
with a <span> or suchlike, and add an attribute that points to an
anchor you have specified in the appropriate position. Then, define a
class that gives the arrow it's desired meaning, i.e. movement, in this
example. This would capture the meaning behind the arrow. Multiple
targets and multiple sources can represent your dual-shafted arrows.
XLink may be able to express these relationships.

If you circle something, you are saying that what is in that circle has
special meaning (e.g. "wrong"). So define a class for it, and mark the
object up.

Anything beyond this is in the realm of styling, i.e. in order to
achieve the presentation of this meaning, you will have to look to CSS,
or some other hypothetical styling language. This styling will be able
to represent your arrows and circles and underlines in the visual
medium, and perhaps suitable representations for other media such as
aural.

donna